IELTS is a standardized test that tests the complete range of English language skills, which students will commonly encounter when studying or training in English.
Many professional organizations including the New Zealand Immigration Service, the Australian Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs, the Australian Medical Council, the UK General Medical Council and the UK Ministry of Defense accept IELTS as also most Australian, British, Canadian and New Zealand academic institutions. American academic institutions are increasingly accepting IELTS for admissions purposes.
Who conducts the test?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) superseded the English Language Testing System (ELTS) in 1990. IELTS is jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), British Council and IDP Education Australia: IELTS Australia. The IELTS test is conducted by the following educational bodies in partnership:
1. University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL) is an internationally recognised body in the provision of academic and vocational examinations. In the field of English language alone, Cambridge ESOL examines more than one million candidates each year.
2. British Council has wide experience and knowledge of test administration. With a network of examinations offices in over 100 countries, British Council administers over 500,000 examinations overseas on behalf of British examining boards.
3. IDP Educational Body, Australia (it's subsidiary is IELTS Australia Pvt. Ltd.). IDP Education Australia is Australia's international education organisation. It undertakes a broad range of activities from student advisory services and educational publications to project consultancy and English language teaching and testing.
Who can take the test?
- Students applying to study in the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the US.
- Medical professionals planning to work or follow further study in the UK, Australia or the US.
- People planning to emigrate to Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
If I am under 16 years old, can I take the test?
You can take the test but IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
What is minimum qualification for IELTS exam ?
There is no minimum qualification for IELTS. Anyone literate in english can appear for it.
Is IELTS accepted in the US?
Yes! Around 700 American universities and institutions recognise IELTS, including seven of the eight ‘Ivy League’ universities, CGFNS and the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
How long is my test score valid?
The IELTS score is valid for 2 years. While obtaining admission to an educational institute, the latest IELTS score is considered.